For the past few weeks, I’ve done One New Thing. It wasn’t something I planned to do. There was not a blog somewhere challenging me to do it. I didn’t hear it in a sermon, or read it in an article. It just happened. In May I realized I needed to take my health into my hands and make big changes. I started seeing a new doctor. My eating habits changed. The doc administered new tests. Prescriptions piled up – some from the pharmacy, but most from the health food store. (Yes, my doctor wrote on her prescription pad vitamins to take! She wanted me to take it seriously.) I found out I had allergies I didn’t even realize COULD be allergies. Starting everything at once was overwhelming. So I looked at that big ole elephant name “Health” sitting there and decided to eat him one bite at a time. (No, I didn’t actually consume an elephant – I’m probably allergic to elephant meat. Besides, that’s just gross!)
Just about every week I have a realization of what ELSE I can do to get healthier. After thinking about it for a bit, on Monday I’d claim One New Thing. Here are a few of my One New Things:
- Reduce coffee consumption from over 3 cups a day to only one (Hello Headaches).
- Stop drinking any alcohol (Just being honest – don’t judge! It was actually the easiest one).
- Get all food allergies out of my diet (Sadly, it’s quite a long list).
- Take regular milk out of the family diet (the only thing I’ve imposed on others).
- Yeast-free / sugar-free diet (If you’re taking note, that left me eating only veggies, beef, fish, and of course, the hypothetical elephant).
- Record ALL foods I do eat to calorie check as well as make sure I’m getting enough good stuff (Thanks Fitness Pal!).
- Exercise (BIG FAIL).
Which brings me to today’s One New Thing.
I will start my day with The Word.
It’s something I try to do, I sometimes do, I want to do…
But I forget to do.
So today, I’m starting the most important One New Thing. Before I even get out of bed, I’m going to use my little handy-dandy book light and pick up a devo book, and read. Then I’ll get up and stumble to the kitchen for my treasured one cup of coffee. As for now, I don’t trust myself to pray in bed. I’ll pray with my coffee. And of course it will start with, Thank you God, for coffee.
Now here’s my challenge to YOU:
Do just One New Thing.
What’s the Elephant YOU need to eat?
Sometimes the bridges we forget most often are the ones within us.
Please join me every week as I share with you some of my One New Things in a new section on my blog – Getting Healthy. Stop by and leave a comment telling me your One New Thing!